The Lagos State College of Health Technology, 8 Harvey Road, Yaba is one of the Tertiary Institutions under the Ministry of Health established previously as a School in 1977 in line with the Federal Government directive to train middle level personnel for the Primary Health Care System across the country.
The Institution was upgraded to the status of a College vide Lagos State Law 2003 accented to by the former Executive Governor of Lagos State Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu on the 22nd January 2004.
The products of this College include Environmental Health Officers, Pharmacy Technicians, Community Health Extension Workers, Health Information Management Technicians, Medical Laboratory Technicians and Assistants.
The training programmes, curricula, guidelines and National Examinations are designed and conducted by National Professional Boards, Councils and National Board for Technical Education (NBTE) culminating in the award of Certificates, National Diplomas and Higher National Diplomas.
To strengthen capacity building of our Students through accessible, affordable, sustainable and qualitative education.
To make Lagos State College of Health Technology, Yaba, a great citadel of learning and production of knowledgeable, skillful and highly qualified graduates who will be the middle level personnel at the Primary, Secondary and Tertiary Health Care facilities in the State and the entire country.
The courses offered with duration by the College include the following:-
• Environmental Health Technology Course - 4 Yrs
• Pharmacy Technician Course - 3 Yrs
• Community Health Extension Workers Course- 3 Yrs
• Health Records and Information Mgt. Tech. Course(HIM) -3 Yrs
• Medical Laboratory Technician Course (MED LAB TECH)- 3 Yrs
• Medical Laboratory Assistant Course (MED LAB ASST)- 2 Yrs
• Medical Laboratory Assistant Conversion Course - 2 Yrs
• Health Attendant Conversion Course - 2 Yrs
ACCREDITATION OF COURSES
The accreditation of courses run by the College is the full responsibility of the respective Professional Boards, Councils and National Board for Technical Education where appropriate.
The accreditation status of each course is as follows:-
• Pharmacy Technician Course -Full Accreditation
• Health Information Management Course - Full Accreditation
• Environmental Health Technology Course
• Community Health Extension Workers Course - Provisional Accreditation
• Medical Laboratory Technician Course
• Medical Laboratory Assistant Course
PROFESSIONAL BOARDS AND COUNCILS.
The Professional Boards and Councils regulating the various courses include;
• West African Health Examination Board (WAHEB) and Environmental Health Officers Registration Council of Nigeria (EHORECON)
• Pharmacists Council of Nigeria (PCN)
• Community Health Practitioners Registration Board of Nigeria (CHPRBN)
• Health Records Registration Board of Nigeria (HRRBN)
• Medical Laboratory Science and Technology Council of Nigeria (MLSTCN).
ACADEMIC DEPARTMENS AND HEADS OF DEPARTMENTS
The various courses currently offered by the College are grouped into five academic departments and each department is headed by a Head of department (HOD) with course coordinator coordinating the running of each course where appropriate.
The academic departments and the Heads of Departments are as follows:-
• Environmental Health Technology Dept - Mrs. V. S. OLanipekun
• Pharmacy Technician Department- Mr. Lanre Popoola
• Community Health Department - Mrs. F. O. Orefejo
• Health Information Management Dept- Mr. S. P. Ojutiku
• Medical Laboratory Department - Mrs. O. S. Izobo
ACADEMIC BOARD OF THE COLLEGE
The Academic Board of the College is responsible for the general direction and management of all academic matters of the College including the regulation of admission of Students, award of College Certificates to graduates, organize and control course of study run by the College and the examinations held in respect of those courses including the appointment of examiners etc.
The Academic Board consists of the Director, the Heads of Academic Departments, the College Librarian and the Secretary. The Board meets about six times annually.
Admission exercise in the college commences in the month of May of every year with the sales of application forms to prospective candidates in the College premises, followed by the conduct of Entrance Examination, conduct of oral interview for successful candidates for admission which is usually based on merit.
The Heads of Academic Departments and other lecturers are involved in this exercise.
All the newly admitted Students in 100 Level are presented to the Honourable Commissioner for health who administers the oath of allegiance to each matriculating Student in a Matriculating Ceremony which occurs in February of every year. Thereafter, all the matriculated Students are given matriculation numbers.
The College operates the academic semester system. An academic session consists of two semesters and each semester runs for seventeen weeks.
The real academic activities start at the beginning of each semester with lectures conducted and delivered by lecturers in each department according to the schedule on the time table drawn by the Head of Department.
Continuous assessment of Students are carried out during the semester culminating into the conduct of end of semester examination , assessment of examination scripts by lecturers and presentation of result of semester examination by the Head of Department to the Academic Board of the College for Verification and Ratification.
STUDENTS HOSPITAL WORK EXPERIENCE SCHEME (SHWES)AND CLINICAL POSTING
During the semesters and particularly during the long vacation, Students are posted to various hospitals inside and outside the State for Practical Training in order to acquire skills and experience in their respective areas of academic endeavour.
In these periods, lecturers and Heads of Departments monitor, assess and evaluate the performances of Students at the Clinical areas.
This involves the presentation of the graduates of the College to the Honourable Commissioner for Health and Special Guest of Honour for the Award of Certificates in National Diploma and Higher National Diploma at the Graduation Ceremony. This event occurs annually.
The Staff Strength of the College is 54 consisting mainly 28 members of Academic Staff excluding guest lecturers and 26 Staff members of non academic staff.
The 28 members of Academic Staff are distributed according to academic departments as follows:-
• Environmental Health Technology Dept - 2
• Pharmacy Technician Department - 2
• Community Health Department - 5
• Health Information Management Dept - 5
• Medical Laboratory Department - 7
• Other Lecturing members of Staff - 4
INFRASTURCTURES AND FACILITIES.
The College infrastructures and facilities include;
• Two Bungalows and a Storey Building for Staff Officers, Classrooms, Laboratory, Demonstration Room and Toilets.
• One Four Storey Building containing six classrooms, two Laboratories, the Library, Demonstration Room, Staff Offices and Toilets.
• College Canteen
• 72 KVA Generator
• Bore – Hole.
The College is non residential to both Students and Staff as the present site of the College is inadequate to take care of residential accommodation for Students particularly.
The College has the following vehicles for transportation of Students and Staff to Clinical Areas.
• One Marcopolo
• One Toyota Hiace Bus.
PRINCIPAL OFFICERS OF THE COLLEGE.
DIRECTOR - DR O. O. ENIGBOKAN (MBBS, MPH, CHPM, MBA)
DEPUTY DIRECTOR - PHARM A. C. ODOR (BSc., PHARMACY, MPH)
LIBRARY SERVICES - MRS A. Y. IPADEOLA (BSc., MLS)
ADMINISTRATION - MRS. V. E. AWODEIN
ACCOUNT OFFICER - MRS TOPE OGUNTADE (HND)
ACADEMIC OFFICER - MRS K. D. SUBAIR (HND)
STUDENT AFFAIRS OFF.- MRS. M. A. TOPLONOU (BSc.)
HEADS OF ACADEMIC DEPARTMENT.
MRS. F. O. OREFEJO - COMMUNITY HEALTH DEPARTMENT
ADV. DIP H/EDUCATION, NRN,
NRM, HND PUBLIC HEALTH NURSING,
CHO, PGD EDUCATION, PGD SOCIAL WORKS
MRS V. S. OLANIPEKUN- ENVRONMENTAL HEALTH TECH DEPT
DIP PUBLIC HEALTH (LONDON)
DIP. FOR TEACHERS OF HEALTH SCIENCES
MR. S. P. OJUTIKU - HEALTH REC. & INFORMATION MGT DEPT
BSc. (HONS) B. CRIMINOLOGY,
MR. LANRE POPOOLA - PHARMACY TECHNICIAN DEPARTMENT
B. PHARM, MBA
MRS. S. O. IZOBO- MEDICAL LABORATORY DEPARTMENT